Getting the Most from the Land Speeder


For me the Land Speeder has always been a love hate kind of thing.

I think the look is very cool, but the model kit has some issues. The first thing that comes to mind, is the seams at the "cheeks" also the general fit and finish isn't that great. Usually I just slap the thing together, throw some paint on it and call it done, but this time I was building it for a special project, and wanted to do it right.

I started modeling with armored vehicles, and then model cars and along the way, I have learned a few tricks, that I thought I should try to make this a nice clean build.

I also decided that I would like to try and get the most of the weapons load out, so I will make some modifications to have multiple weapon choices.

I used only liquid plastic cement, which actually fuses the plastic parts together, so when this is dry it will be rugged, more or less a solid piece of plastic. I gave the cheek seams special attention and made sure it all lined up as good as it would, used rubber bands to hold it all together, until the plastic glue dried, and used spot putty brushed smooth with liquid plastic cement to fill all the seams and blend it all together.


I never liked the little steps on the sides or the grab bar on the gunner side, I have spent some time in the military and these items seem out of place on a combat vehicle, and these are super human Space Marines, granny steps are unnecessary, so I removed all that and filled holes with spot putty.

The missile launchers, side hatch doors, assault cannon/spotlight unit, and the antennae array are all from the Ravenwing sprue. I placed magnets in the hatches to hold the missile launchers on as well as under the chin to hold on the assault cannon, the melta and heavy bloter have a long brass pin to fit snug into a pintle mount for the gunner.



You will see more of this soon.

John

Comments

  1. I'm always interested in getting the most out of vehicles, so look forward to seeing how these turn out.

    I still haven't figured out how a Land Speeder lands with all the stuff hanging off the bottom. Perhaps they use magnets too?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment